23 January, 2011

Stuck in New Delhi

A week later, I am still in New Delhi. I have become agile, and quite adept at jumping through bureaucratic hoops. I can even keep my cool while doing it. The good news: by tomorrow evening, I should have in my hand permission to stay in India another six months. I may even be granted the OCI status for which I have applied (Overseas Citizen of India), with which I will never need another visa for this country again. The bad news: by the time I get back to Jhiri, I will have missed a week at my project site. That is one week without seeing the kids, one week without chatting with my friends in the handloom co-op. Few of them understand what "visa issues" means, none of them will understand why I was gone a week when I said I would only be gone two days. It has been hard for me to be gone, and I can't wait to get back to my adopted Indian home.

That being said, my time in Delhi has provided me with the chance to reconnect with family (my grandmother's sister's son's family-- that would be my dad's cousin). I have had a wonderful time getting to know them, and pretty much have a new home in Delhi now.

I have completed a large grant proposal for the handloom co-op that I have been working on for some time, and will submit it tonight. If we get it, it will be huge news for us, and something the co-op has needed for a long time. Yesterday, I went to Delhi Haat, a popular market here, and saw several street plays performed by theater groups from local colleges about different social issues. I even got some of their contact info to give to Sumita, my co-fellow working with community theater in Jhiri. I attended a wonderful workshop on education and curriculum development at Manzil, an amazing non-profit for children here in Delhi. The workshop focused on structuring classes so that children get the most out of every minute, while learning in a fun and healthy way. I will be passing everything I gleaned on to Harpreet, my other co-fellow working on overhauling Manthan's (the school run by HKS) curriculum. Thanks to my mom and Kevin for reminding me to make the most out of a seemingly bad situation.

Also, for those of you interested in handlooms and textiles, it IS possible to start weaving your own cloth! Check out this nifty website for building a foot powered loom, and for other tips on sustainable living.


No comments:

Post a Comment